Skip to main content

When do you say 'elbow grease'? Is 'more power to your elbow' correct? These 2 pairs of homophones will shock you. Join the class now.

Hello KIB students. 
I hope you kipped well .

We have something vital to learn.
1.Elbow grease
2.More elbow grease
3.More grease to your elbow.

These three expressions are usually used by Nigerians when they want to praise someone and say that they hope the person continues to have success.


The truth is,  'elbow grease' is the only recognised English expression among the three and it doesn't depict 'praise at  all.
So,  the question is,  what exactly is 'Elbow grease'?
Elbow grease means
Hard work especially when you are cleaning; hard scrubbing. Strenuous physical effort. 
Elbow grease , according to Wikipedia,  is an idiom for working hard at manual labour . It is a figure of speech for humorously indicating nothing else but manual work is required.
Here are examples.
When someone is scrubbing the floor and it  still doesn't look clean, you can say.
Hey,  more elbow grease please. The dirt is still visible.
My mum put a lot of elbow grease into cleaning the kitchen.
With more elbow grease,  we'd be able to make this house very clean within an hour.
So if 'elbow grease' deals  with 'physical power' and cleaning,  why tell someone 'elbow grease ' and 'more elbow grease' when they performed well in school?
Well,  the best expression to use  to praise people and wish them success is
'more power to your elbow'.
That's right.
Finally
Aren't and aunt are homophones. 
Please,  don't ever pronounce 'aren't' as 'arint'.

I chuckle when I hear people say that. I find it hard correcting people's expressions.  They'd end up avoiding saying anything around me. What you have to know is that,  Teacher also makes simple mistakes.  Just like you,  I want to be better everyday.
Bizarre and bazaar are homophones. It will be too hard for a Nigerian to agree .
Usually we say
Bazaar as bazaar
bizarre as bizaar.

The both of them are pronounced as / bəˈzɑː/
Alright KIB students,  the class with King Ifey  is  done and dusted. If there is anyone that needs to be here to learn,  please invite them to join us as soon as possible.
Toodles.
Walks out of the class,  peeps through the window.
Oh,  by the way,  someone had asked me what 'right of the bat' means.
It  means 'immediately'.  I'll be going to Harare right off the bat. (don't know Harare?  Find out where it is)

What so you call 'Atitanwangwere' in English.

Is 'be rest assured' correct?
Ciao! 

Comments

  1. Saefaier-Neky Uloma8 July 2017 at 00:51

    More power to your elbow, king ifey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy...
    Thank you Unku...

    I'll be going to the shop 'Right off the Bat'...

    Harare is in Zimbabwe Faa...

    More Power to your Elbow Unku...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd meet you up at the airport "right off the bat".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tisha you are doing well here.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. What have I been doing all my life.
    King fey
    How do you come up with these things.

    You make me feel like I never knew anything at all.

    Nawa oo.

    Funny enough, I dread what else I say that is wrong.
    I will always stop by to learn here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, some of these things I post, I learn them as the days go by.

      I haven't always known all of them

      Delete
  6. It's difficult commenting here.
    Thank you for the tip you gave us on commenting.

    I will soon get a Google account to be very active here.
    Thank you King Ifey.
    You are a blessing to humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being here bro.
      You are appreciated

      Delete
  7. I looove this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Sire! More power to your elbow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not coming along with me to Harare?

      Lol

      Delete
  9. Thank you sir. You too mush!

    Sylviawendy was here

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing..you are revolutionizing the way we learn, so easy..now i understand what homophone is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Children like me never learn, more grease to your elbow lol. I knew you meant right off not right of, typos can confuse. By the way teacher, I've heard that there is nothing like meant, rather it's always said as mean, how true is that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uzochukwu Chidinma Daniella11 July 2017 at 03:07

    You're the best.
    Many thanks to you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ezeala Christian13 July 2017 at 02:10

    You are doing a great job king ifey.
    God bless you, Tisha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha