Skip to main content

'please Borrow me some money' is wrong: Understanding the difference between 'borrow' and 'lend'

#ComeToClassWithKingIfey

#WrongEnglishWeSpeak

Hello everyone.
I hope you had a good night rest?  I feel very rejuvenated this morning and I haven't even worked out. LOL.

Anyway,  let's get down to brass tacks.

Today,  something about your spoken English will either change or   you completely give up on English.

But please,  don't give up on learning,  okay?

Even if you decide you don't need 'better spoken English' just know it okay?

I'd hate  of you  disgrace yourself by trying to correct people who speak the right English  only because you locked your mind against learning better expressions.

Remember,  English is not a logical language. Keep everything logical to yourself and learn the best native speakers use their words.

Let's look at

#borrow
#lend

Nigerians have murdered this  particular word, 'borrow'.

We undressed it and wore it a different outfit. Hardly do native speakers understand  it when we use it in sentences .

Borrow me your pen.
He borrowed him his notebook.
Please can you borrow me your note book.
I need you to borrow me some money.

My good people of Zuckerville, all these examples are wrong statements.  Very 'unEnglish'. 

'Lend' is the actual word that ought to be there.

Here are the meanings of borrow and lend.

#Borrow means to
take and use (something belonging to someone else) with the intention of returning it.

"he had borrowed a car from one of his colleagues".

#Lend means to
grant to (someone) the use of (something) on the understanding that it will be returned.

"Stewart asked me to lend him my car"

Let me make it clearer.

When you are obtaining something(like a notebook) from someone with the intention of bringing it back,  you are borrowing from the person and the person is lending to you.

So if you want to ask for that thing from the person,
You have to say.

Please can I borrow your notebook?

Or

Please can you lend me your notebook?

You can also say

He lent me his notebook. #not  he borrowed me his notebook

I borrowed his notebook. (much better)

I'd suggest you whip out all the dictionaries you have and correct many  incorrect expressions we accustomed to in Nigerian.

That reminds me.
According to Facebook register,  Amy Lyndy Ikwuegbu and Nnamdi Austine are the most active in class . An applause for them.

Yes that's right.

Let's continue.

The female of a sheep is called

A ewe #not an ewe.
It is pronounced as 'you'.

Machete is not pronounced machet.

It is pronounced as

Ma'sheti or ma'cheti.

/məˈtʃeti,məˈʃeti/

There is a monkey called Uakari.
Just last week,  I learnt how to pronounce it. Courtesy of Oscar Alan

Uakari is pronounced as

wa -CAR-ri. /wəˈkɑːri/

Yes,  that's right.

The truth is,  I want this class to be very informative.

If you attend to my class,  you have to learn   at least one thing.

Well,  the class with King Ifey is done and dusted.
Have yourself a wonderful rest of the day.

I am travelling to my village for 'nzuko umunna'.

Toodles!

Comments

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy...
    Maybe because I took my time to study in the early hours of the morning...
    I really understand this lecture..

    'I borrowed his Jotter'
    'He lent me his jotter'

    Aptly put.

    Thank you Ife.

    *Grabs Jotter and Golden pen*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, everyone we offers international loans. With the capital used for long-term loans etc, also we give out loans at 2% interest rate so if yes you are really serious in need of a loan to pay off your bills or settle your debt please contact us at our company email address: johnleoloancompany@gmail.com or whatsApp number: +1(571)-489-7172

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha