Skip to main content

Is 'Partner with' UK's English? Is 'Emphasise on' correct? Learn a new word for someone who doesn't drink alcohol.

Good morning KIB students.
I do hope you had a beautiful night rest.

A few days ago,  we learnt that food eaten in between lunch and dinner is called high tea,  tea meal or simply 'tea'.
What did you have for tea?  I had biscuits and peanuts for tea.  She had jollof rice for tea.

Okay let's get down to brass tacks.  We know the word 'Partner',  right?

In British English,  you can say 'partner somebody or partner with somebody.

  In American English,  it is still the same thing.

Here are a few examples.

1.I partnered Chioma at the last dance.
2. She partnered me
3. For me to prosper I need to partner her
4. She was partnered by Emeka.
5. You have to partner someone at the moment.

The same thing with 'emphasise'.

'Emphasise on' is wrong both in The UK and the US.  native speakers say  'emphasise something'
1. He emphasised the need to be healthy
2. He emphasised the reason why he couldn't make it.

Finally,  when you want to say you don't care,  I would prefer you say
I don't give a hoot or I don't care two hoots.
Some people say 'I don't give two spoons'. It probably has become Nigerian English,  but for you to be correct,  say 'I don't give  a hoot'

Finally,  today's new word will interest you.

If you don't take alcohol, there is a name you are called.
It is teetotaler.

Pronounced as
/tea-TOtal-er/

Finally, the class with King Ifey is done and dusted.
Tell your friends about the live class in Port Harcourt. It will start in August.  Prepare to register and within 3 months,  I will give you all the secrets to transforming your spoken English.

Don't say your case is severe,  mine was very severe before I started learning by myself and getting better as the days go buy.
I will encourage you to be part of the live class in Port Harcourt.

It will be around  Rumuigbo.  So help inform your friends. For further enquiries,  please send a mail to mclightonline@gmail.com.

I will be on the next flight to Cairo.

Good bye Class

Toodles

Comments

  1. Marvel Ini William20 July 2017 at 23:48

    Thanx tisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmanuel Chukwufumnanya Okonta20 July 2017 at 23:55

    Thanks Boss... Learnt a lot from the few weeks I attended this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you did. You will still learn more

      Delete
    2. I am glad you did. You will still learn more

      Delete
  3. Finally, am here oo..my village people 1:Ada Nibo, 10
    Thanks Tisha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adaeze... I am happy to finally see you here

      Delete
  4. The class keep getting more interesting teasha.
    So teasha, don't tell me you are a teetotaler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.
      thank you.
      Find the answer on my facebook

      Delete
    2. LOL.
      thank you.
      Find the answer on my facebook

      Delete
  5. All these flights you are taking alone sef😏. Take me with you na I love travelling lol.
    Emphasized on is wrong. Noted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is "emphasis on " wrong?
    Example: He made emphasis on the need for parents to be emotionally available for their children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No,' to lay emphasis on something' is correct. Thanks for stopping by Obasi

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha