Skip to main content

The mistakes we make when using the verb 'do' for emphasis. Learn a new word today.

Good morning KIB students.
I hope you all had a good night rest?😏😏

Well, let me start by saying that 'some certain' is unobtainable in English language. I have already mentioned that there are tautologies that have made it to dictionary and have become generally accepted. e.g plenty big enough, extreme end, extreme limit, little bit, tad bit etc. For more information on this, please check out some older classes. Right here.

Also, I am not the originator of brass tacks and 'done and dusted'. No I am not😂. I may have helped a lot of you out with these expressions. I feel happy when I look at my news feed on Facebook with these expressions about to drown me.

Alright, enough of all the talk. Soon somebody will say Ifey is talkative. He can talk the hind legs off a donkey.😂

So, let's get down to brass tacks.

I will take a look at the simplest verb that makes many learned men sound so  unintelligent.

Do you know the word?

Yes. It is the word 'do'.

Do, did, done.

We all know how to use these these variations.

a.I know what to do.
b.I saw what you did.
c.She does that all the time.
d.She has done that many times.

These examples are so simple that we hardly make mistakes when using them.

But

When  these three (do, does, did)  are used for laying emphasis, disaster crops up from no where😂 .

Please pay attention to these details. For laying emphasis, the verb that is usually attached  to 'do'  stays in its free form without those tense variations.

For example .

Go is the free form.  Variations of it include 'went', 'gone' and 'goes'.

As I said, when laying emphasis the  verb attached to 'do' remains in its free form

E.g We do go to visit grandma every Christmas.
We did go back to verify it was true. (don't use went)

Eze does go to school every weekday. (not goes).

These mistakes are very obvious and irking too.

Say these

Did you know that many people didn't come?✔

Do you know that many people didn't came? ❌

He didn't say that✔

He didn't said that ❌

It becomes harder when there are intervening words between do and the verb it works with.

He did eventually tell me✔
He did eventually told me❌

Please guys, try to practise these expressions. If you know them already, share and enlighten people around you.

Finally,
Dwarf is pronounced as (Dworf) with 'or' sound in 'morning' and not the 'are' sound in 'car'.

/dwa:f/❌
/ dwɔːf/✔

The class with King Ifey is done and dusted. Please if you are ready let's go for sightseeing at Calabar. We have hired an airbus already. I just hope the almighty Tinapa hasn't run/gone to seed.
See you all.

*walks out of the class, stands by the door and talks to myself*

I think I  don't remember something.

*thinks for a while and then screams happily*

EUREKA!

*Peeps through the window*
Um..the question I asked yesterday. Nobody really got it. But you all were close.

the person who comes to squeegee your windscreen whenever you are stuck in traffic and afterwards requests for a payment is called a 'SQUEEGEE MERCHANT*  it isn't called squeegee nor squeegee person.

Now you know a new word😊😊.
Why not give me a cup of chocolate au lait. The job your 'tisha' does is his passion.

I love to see you prosper.

Toodle-oo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha