Skip to main content

Learn new expressions in this short drama and how to pronounce 'Procedure'

Good morning KIB students. Since we love drama,  I  have decided to also teach through drama.

Let's get down to brass tacks.

Nne and Ada.

Nne: How do you do, Ada.
Ada: (smiles) How do you do,  Nne.
Nne: I am fine my dear except I did not have a good night rest.

Ada: um, Nne,  I didn't enquire about your wellbeing.

Nne: But you asked how I was doing.

Ada: I was just replying the greeting.  The expression isn't about you telling us about your health. It is a formal greeting for people who are just meeting for the first time.  Anyway,  I hope you have  recuperated from that sickness.

Nne: Yes,

Ada: oh so your doctor has given you a clean  bill of health?
Nne: bill kwa?  He didn't give us any bill.

Ada: (shakes her head in disappointment ) honey,  If you have been given a clean bill of health,  it means your doctor has certified that you are healthy

Nne: oh that.  Yes,  I have a clean bill of health.

Ada: So now that you are better,  will you attend King Ifey academy with me?  The class starts today. I will save you a seat.

Nne: please,  is that where you are learning confusing English expressions?

Ada: yes. Your English will never remain the same after two days with King Ifey.  He will teach you English phonology like never before.  You will understand stress patterns of words.  You will get to be in  the know about trending contemporary British expressions, corrections will be made on  all the wrong grammar Nigerians have made conventional.
King Ifey will tell you it is the barber's shop and not barbing salon.  It is not send-forth party but send-off.

Nne: Really,  I notice your spoken  English has improved. Please do save me a seat.  I will register today.  I need to go the market to get a new dress .

Ada: Oh really,  you love buying dresses. I know the next thing will be photo studio.

Nne:(laughs) of course.  I need to dazzle my facebook friends.

Ada: such a shutterbug you are. Keeping up with the Joneses.

Nne: it's okay Ada.  It is just okay. Speak English that I can understand biko. Which one is shutterbug again? 

Ada: if you don't cotton on what I say,  you tell me and I will explain.

Nne: please explain. 

Ada: a shutterbug is somebody who loves taking photos all the time while keeping up with the Joneses means you are trying to act so rich when you are not.

Nne: that is an insult to me Ada.

Ada: it is obvious. I mean,  you love changing clothes weekly but when  things that can help change your mentality arise,  you start bargaining for it to be made cheaper.

Nne: when did I do that?
Ada: have you forgotten  when  I told you about the cost of attending King Ifey Academy, you said 50k was ruthlessly exorbitant. King Ifey , wanting to make it affordable for many people,  lopped off 18k from  the price and someone like you is still contemplating whether to attend the class.

Nne: wait,  when you say lopped off,  you mean he removed 18k from the price,  right?

Ada: that would be correct

Nne: where is this class again,  I will attend it. So,  please um...Um..um get me a seat.

Ada: you mean I should save you a seat?

Nne: exactly.  I will join the class. Honestly,  I love the way you speak now.

Ada: I know you love to look good and be the  cynosure of all eyes. You can achieve that by speaking eloquently too.

Nne: my dear,  I need all the charm in  the world to get me married off to a good man

Ada: (laughs hysterically ) you want to be  hitched?  Well,  just speak well and see men flood your house to have you walk down the aisle with them.

Nne: I can't wait. King Ifey Academy,  here I come .

Ada: Now,  that is the spirit.

I am sure you enjoyed the drama, for further enquiry about King ifey Academy,  visit my blog through this link.

http://kingifey.blogspot.com.ng/2017/08/king-ifey-academy-is-in-port-harcourt.html

Finally,

Determine is not pronounced as ditaMAIN. Rather it is pronounced as 'diTERmin'
Procedure is not pronounced as pro-SEE-dyour

It is pronounced as
Pra-SEE-Ja
Where (a) represent the schwa sound and (J) represent  /dʒ/ sound in  jug.

/prəˈsiːdʒə/

Uzoma Divine and  Ejovwoke Mary Ogwori are the most active in  class.

The class with King Ifey is done and dusted.
You will find me at Shadrach de Montessori Academy, Rumuigbo by 4pm.

Share with your friends in Port Harcourt. Many are looking for this opportunity. Help them  get it.  The class is very affordable.

Take care guys

Toodles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha