Skip to main content

The difference between 'see off' and 'see out' . Check out this word that is offensive but we use it as some form of praise in Nigeria

Listen!

Oh I forgot

I meant to say

Read!

Now, guys, this is absolutely important.

Sometimes we neglect learning the usage of verbs and their collocations with prepositions.

These mistakes can make you say something bad to someone without you knowing you have actually done so.

Let's look at this short drama.

Mary: Mum, my friend Ada wants to leave now. Let me see her off to the gate.

Mum: okay sweetheart. Be back soon.

Mary: yes mum.

Ada:  did you know you just told your mum that you are forcing me to leave the house by chasing me away to the gate?

Mary: hey gawd, how do you mean please? I wanted to say that I am accompanying you to the gate to bid you farewell .

Ada: if that is the case, then you are actually seeing me out. 'See out' means to go to the door or gate with someone to say goodbye to then when they leave.

Mary: really? What have I been speaking bikonu. But I hear native speakers use 'see off' in a context that doesn't mean 'to forcefully chase out'

Ada: you are right.  See off also means to go to an airport, train station, bus station to say  goodbye to someone. You probably saw someone going to the airport, train station or bus station to see off a loved one. The truth is, the both collocations have little similarity.

Mary: oh I see. I perfectly understand it now. So, I am seeing you out right?

Ada: that would be correct

Mary: alright, since you will need to get to the bus station and I have this juicy gist that has been disturbing me, I need to share it with you.

Ada: okay?

Mary: So, I will go to the bus station to see you off.

Ada: (smiles) you really cottoned on  well.

Mary: what is 'cotton on' please. You know your English is always hard to understand.

Ada: (laughs) it simply 'understand'.

Mary: oh dear, I cottoned on what you said.

Ada: nice. Lets hit the road.

Mary: (confused)with what please?

Ada: I meant let's start on the journey. I have to get home fast dear before it's dark.

Mary: thanks for schooling me today.

Hope you enjoyed the short drama.

Nice.

There are so many of these mistakes we make. Just learn today okay and share the post too.

Finally, when learning new words please take notes of all its tags.

Formal, informal, old-fashioned, literary, euphemism, derogatory, 

I hear people admiring some persons who are  fair as half-caste.

Half-caste is pejorative, derogatory, insulting and very offensive.

A half-caste doesn't necessarily have to be very  fair like Mariah Carey is. It would be better if you say they are biracial.

Take note of this.

Finally the class with King Ifey is done and dusted.

I am going to Oslo. Who wants to join me?

There is no peeping through the window today.
Guys, see you all later.

Toodles

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha