Skip to main content

THE NIGHT READING SESSION EXPERIENCE BY UBAJI ISIAKA ABUBAKAR: FICTION


The Night Reading Session Experience




My phone had just stopped ringing for the third time now and it is evident that the caller is Sule. I have refused to even pick the phone from the bed. Do you know why?

 It is 12:30am and I was supposed to meet Sule at one of the faculty's classroom for an overnight interactive and reading session but I had long made up my mind never to move anywhere close to the school premises at an hour such as this. Neither shall I answer the phone call, period!

 Why should I attend another overnight reading session after what I experienced the last time I left the comfort of my room at an ungodly hour such as this to join Sule in the classroom for reading?

 "I do not like reading at nights, why don't we find a quiet place during the day to read?" I have always told Sule this but he adamantly insists on the fact that reading is best suited for nights due to the reduction of noisy activities which encourages easy assimiliation. Well, I have learnt my lesson and a terrible one it was too. You want to know what I am talking about right? This was how it all happened...

 It was 11:30pm on Tuesday night and since my lodge at the posterior of the university premises--in fact all houses within that particular domain--had not woken up to the era of electricity supply, I make it a point of duty to always leave my lodge for the classrooms to read at nights.


On this particular night, I quickly got dressed as usual and left home in a hurry after wishing my lodge mate a good night rest. On the way to the classroom, I noticed that the night was unusually grosteque and I was wondering why it was unnaturally dark and quiet too; even the inarticulate sounds of frogs and crickets seemed to have disappeared into oblivion. The moon; behaving like an angry husband refusing to eat his wife's food; refused to shine that night. It was with these deliberations that I approached the junction which marks the boundary between the school and the exterior domains; very close to Lagos lodge; and that was where I saw...

 I still lack the perfect words to describe or name it for how does a man describe or name that which he finds difficult to believe he had himself seen?

The figure I saw was tall and sturdy as an Iroko tree and white as the moon which had refused to grace the night with its illuminating presence at that very hour. The figure was moving as a man would when I saw it and after about five steps, it turned towards me and stopped!

I was shivering all over, like a leaf reacting to the continual droppings of rain, the moment I saw it. My body developed goose pimples and I felt my head becoming heavy and swollen like an overblown ballon that was about to burst. I felt like running back home but my legs were fast rooted to the ground and were as heavy as two giant mortars.

 Image result for FACE TO  FACE WITH A GHOST


But hey! You will have to agree that I am not always as afraid as other men--maybe it is because I look intimidating myself--for immediately after this moment of trepidation, I concluded that my eyes were playing tricks on me. So, I decided to advance forward for a closer look but then the figure spoke.

 Image result for GETTING FRIGHTENED BY UGLY GHOSTS
"Eazy." It said in a deep guttural voice.

 "Hmm." I answered like a man trying to hide an ugly fear.

 "Where are you going?" It asked me.

 "Hmm! ..." I answered wanting to say that I was going to read some text books in the classroom but to my utmost suprise, my lips were suddenly glued together.

 "Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!" It laughed deeply. "You can not talk now, can you?

ou slime worm of a human body! This thing has been divided between us; the day belongs to you while the night has been assigned to us," it went on speaking, "but you human bodies would not respect this division. You prefer to disturb us when you should be resting."

 "That was why I slapped a boy the other night at the university's auditorium." An invisible voice very close to the figure spoke.




 "And I beat up a boy at the Agric faculty last week's Wednesday", said another unseen presence.

 All this while I had been standing frozen as an iced fish and rooted to the ground like a statue while listening to the conversations with great trepidation and confusion. Then the figure addressed me:

 "We shall not harm you tonight but be warned, we shall not tolerate human bodies infiltrating our privacy henceforth. You may go now!" It finally said relieving me of the shame of almost urinating on my pair of trousers.

 Instantly, I felt blood rushing back into my frozen body and I ran blindly without a backward glance, taking another route leading to my lodge.



"Kpo! Kpo! Kpo!" I knocked on my door. Rasaki; my robust lodge mate with a peculiar specie of enormous head which made us nicknamed him 'Hediraski'; was at first afraid to answer till I knocked harder the second time.

"Who be dat?" he finally answered in a thin voice laced with fear.

 "Na me!" I answered quickly.

 He rushed to the door on recognising my panic striken voice and I rushed inside the room feeling feverish and shivering all over like a 'Sallah ram.' I looked at him and tried explaining by pointing a finger towards the junction I had ran from but before I could even utter a word, everything went blank.

 It was in the morning, waking up very weak, that Rasaki told me that I had fainted and he had to solicit the neighour's assistance in reviving me. He also mentioned that if I had not woken up that morning, they might have considered taking me to the university's clinic.

 My four neighbours barged in all at once asking different question at the same time.

 "Wetin do you?" Asked one.

 "Where you run comot from yesterday?" Asked another.

 "Wetin de pursue you?" Asked the third.

 "Wetin make you faint?" Asked the fourth.

 I looked at them all and just shook my head for where is the credibility of my experience? They would all burst into an ocean of laughter and clearly judge that I was hallucinating.

 Believe it or not, that was what I experienced...and yes! About reading in the classrooms at nights--na lie, for where! Case dismissed! I shall never go again! Amen! Period!

 Copyright Ubaji Isiaka Abubakar Eazy 2013

 All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. lwkmd. you ran ooo...
    next time go out to read at night... na wiliwili you go see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really thrilling. i enjoyed every bit of it. the pictures are so frightening.
    its a good thing they spared your life.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way too scary.... its creepy... the pictures now drove it home ... they look so real and the writer told the story like it really happened to him

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very scary this is. A horror story I might say

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading this. A different angle to what I've previously read from you Eazy. Enjoyed first person narration and the times when you broke the wall(to speak to the reader). Enjoyed the comical nuances in this Horror Story too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha