Skip to main content

My Blessing has Become my Course by Ubaji Isiaka Abubakar Eazy







A new poem that tells what most people who leave their villages to go search for better lives get to see when they must have changed beyond expectation.  Read and share your thoughts


My Blessing has Become my Curse

As kids,
we drove bicycle tyres around
and made toy cars out of slippers,
we gathered in the rain and moulded statues out of mud,
we were the reason the cashew tree in Papa's compound
was always barren all through the years
we knew the ghosts that consumed chickens
in the neighbourhood,
together we swam in that muddy river
splashing mud on each other's bodies.
Was it not six or seven years ago that,
we sat at Mama G's Place
sipping hot pepper soup
while sending empty bottles of beer
back to the distilleries?
Together we visited nightclubs
and stormed the Sunday parties
dancing and jubilating widly.

All was good till I went in search of the golden fleece
I returned home to meet my friends
and I found myself outside a ringed line
I am now the strange phenomenom clutching books around like a possessed man
I am the man with glasses sitting stiffly
on the edge of his nose
I am the man who now wears a long tie and suit
I sit with my friends but they are uncomfortable
no one wants to call me anymore
For a visit to Mama G's place
or invite me for a cup of burukutu and palm wine.
At the parties,
I am expected to sit quietly and not dance
I am introduced as the man who has seen it all,
one who can speak the thunder and fire of a foreign tongue
and they expect me to be happy
how can they know that I am embittered
because I have become a friendless sage?
My blessing has become my curse!


Copyright Ubaji Isiaka Abubakar Eazy 2015

Comments

  1. More related to “The madness of Didi” by Obi Egbuna
    I love this !
    More righteous pen to your ink oh prolific writer ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha