Skip to main content

The mistake we make with Reverse, Reply, Rewind. What Nigerians Call Tea is actually not tea. Find out here.

Good morning KIB students. if you are new and you are following my  daily posts but not really on my friend list, please comment  on this post and I will accept you.

KIB means King Ifey's Blog. If you are learning, then you are already a member here.😉😉

Alright guys, Let's get down to brass tacks.

Reverse,  rewind and reply.

These three words  have a particular direction which is-- going back.

I reversed and sped off✔

I reversed back and sped off❌

I sent a letter, he hasn't replied✔

I sent a letter, he hasn't replied.

I rewound the film  to that scene✔

I rewound the film back to that scene.❌

'Plate number' may sound like it's very correct to everyone, but the right statement is ' number plate'

Cattle rearer?

That is not how Englishmen call it.

They call them headsmen, cattlemen, herders    or cattle herders, ranchers (used on someone who rears these animals while they are in a ranch).

So, use the English terms.

I know we all know the prayer
'The lord is my shepherd', right?

Those of you who don't care about how badly you pronounce your words, I hope you are not planning to travel anytime soon or travel at all.

Imagine telling someone, ' the lord is your shepherd' and you pronounce shepherd like '(shefard or sheferd). They won't understand you at all.

already, Englishmen pronounce it as 'shepuhd'... where 'uh'  represents the schwa.

So it is not

/ˈʃɛfəd/❌
/ ˈʃefa:d/❌

it is called

/ˈʃɛpəd/✔

It is also correct to call a shepherd, a sheepherder.

a few french words for you all.

au lait: it means 'with milk'.
Chocolate milk can be called chocolate au lait.

it is wrong to call chocolate milk  TEA. Tea is different my friends. and doesn't taste like chocolate. We hardly take tea here in Nigeria. Some people take Toptea I guess.😃

you can have garri au lait, cornflakes au lait, oat au lait.

Just be french today😂.

Au fait: To be au fait with something means to know that thing very well.

I am au fait with how things work here on Facebook.  Are you?😏

au lait is pronounced as... Oh lay.

au fait is pronounced as 'Oh fay'

finally

tête a tête .
this word has a hilarious pronunciation from Nigerians 

tete a teete...😂😂❌

it is pronounced as
teta tet
or 'tate are TATE'

ˌtɛtaˈtɛt,/ or
/ˌteɪtɑːˈteɪt/

Thank you guys for choosing King Ifey Academy. The online facebook closed group starts 15th September.

If you are ready to learn for 3 months, then you subscribe.

You pay 7000 per month.  Classes are held 20 times in that month.

After 3  months, you will have successfully been part of 60 classes.

The class is all about British English. Getting it alright, from enunciation, to stress, to proper British expressions.

I will also give basic tips on writing too.

Many people are afraid to write. It is disheartening. You must not Adichie before you start writing. You are shackling your creativity if you do so.

To make the paying process easier,  make your payment to this account.

0050240762

Access bank

Muonyili Ifechukwu.

Send the proof of your payment to me so you can get admitted😊. It is very simple.

Someone made a donation of 8000  to the academy. It seems he or she doesn't want me to know who he or she is.

I cried happy tears last night. I am still waiting for that person to tell me he did that.

If you have ever supported my free online lessons, I immensely appreciate. You guys keep me going.

The class with King Ifey is done and dusted.

*Walks out of the class, peeps through the window*

aha!
Did you  know that  these days married couples get to live with a third person who usually join them in bedroom for sex.

That arrangement is called
ménage à trois

meɪˌnɑːʒ ɑː ˈtrwʌ/

noun

an arrangement in which a married couple and the lover of one of them live together.

Yes,  things are happening in the world and I will try you keep abreast of it all😃.

I will be on the  next flight to Timbuktu😏

Toodles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha