Skip to main content

Expressions you can learn from card games.

Okay guys. it is weekend and you ought to be relaxing right now. Some of you will head to their
'stomping ground'  to hang out with friends they met here on Facebook. Actually, I will do so this evening but not at my stomping ground. I don't have any yet in PHCity.😃😃

Anyway, let's get down to brass tacks. ( don't tell me this expression is clichéd.  it is my signature guys😃

So let me teach you expressions for card games and how these expressions have become acceptable idioms.

Starting out with a deck/ pack of cards.

Americans say 'deck of cards' while Britons say 'pack of cards'.

So,  when I get a pack of cards, I deal  three persons in.

Note: Deal somebody in means to include them in a card game. but it can also mean to include someone in something other than card game. for example. 
He wants to be involved in the business, so I will deal him in.

If you are interested in @King Ifey Academy, then contact me and I will deal you in.😉

So,  when you want to be involved  in card games, just tell the guy with the cards to deal you in.

The guy with the cards will then 'deal out' the cards to players. it means to give playing cards to players that have been dealt in to the game.

It can also be used in place in 'distribute'. e.g we dealt out goods to retailers. The government dealt out pamphlet , explaining why they needed to achieve that goal.

To deal somebody out means to exclude the person in a card game or  anything.

When you don't want to play the game again, you tell them to deal you out.

Some men find out difficult to be dealt out of their cults.

I am done with this nonsense. Just deal me out.

I hope you are following guys😊. You will learn  plenty today.

So let's look at expressions with 'cards' in it.

When something is on the cards, it means that that is likely to happen. e.g Since the company is negligent of the staff welfare, many resignation could be on the cards. ( Americans say 'in the cards')

'To play ones cards right' means to deal with a situation in a right way so that you are successful in getting what you want.

put/lay your cards on the table: it means to tell people what your plans are in a clear and honest way. e.g, it's about time I laid my cards out. I am not 18 as you think, I am 32.
don't put your cards out on the table when it comes to business, rather you keep them close to your chest.

play/keep your cards close to your chest means to keep your plans and thoughts secret.

Okay guys, this is where I'll draw the curtain on today's lecture.

Have you followed my page?😃
Have you put it on 'see first',  so you don't get left out?

You know you can deal yourself in😉

The online 3 month paid class will start on Monday. Are you yet to make a reservation?
BE FAST!

Finally.

Switzerland is  not pronounced as Swizaland'. It is pronounced as 'SWIT-ser-land

Britain isn't pronounced as breeTAIN.

Briton isn't pronounced as 'BRI-ton.

Britain and Briton  are pronounced as BRI-tn. They are homophone and they both rhyme with ' written'

I hope you are super-rejuvenated today.

Invite your friends to follow my page because we will port over to that place😉.

The class with King Ifey is done  and dusted.

*walks out of the class and peeps through the window'

stomping ground is your favorite place where you love hanging out.

Catch you later

Toodles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha