Skip to main content

Grocer, groceries, greengrocers, mall, supermarket, grocery stores, shopping Centre. Learn the differences.

You are welcome to class my beautiful KIB students.

Before  I give you today's scoop let me quickly point out something.

This class is solely British.  When I make an analogy and tell you that this is what should be said in British English,  please don't get me wrong.

A go-slow is the same thing as a snarl-up or a traffic  jam, but 'go-slow' is recognized as  West African English and it is not British.

Let's get down to brass tack my friends.

A mall or shopping mall is very much the American version of the British 'Shopping Centres'.

So,  if you are a proponent of British English,  you will have to keep changing these words to the right British words and expressions.

Spa and Shoprite are all mostly called shopping centres in the UK and mall in the US.

Those canned  foods you buy for yourself like chocolate, milk,  margarine,  titus,  tin tomatoes and those in sachets are usually not called provisions when  you are buying them to keep at home and go back to school with them. They are called groceries.

Provisions  are basically food supplies especially for a journey.

So when  you want to buy foods in  cans and Sachet please call them groceries.

A store where groceries are sold is known as a Supermarket in  the UK and a grocery store in the US. 

The retailer in  a supermarket is called a grocer.

I hope you are learning?

Let's move on😊

When  someone sells fruits and vegetables,  what do you call them?

Simple.  They are called greengrocers. They sell  raw contents of fruits and vegetables.

Their shops are called greengrocer's.

E.g After buying grocers from the supermarket,  we had to stop by the greengrocer's to buy aubergine and cucumber. 😏😏.

Sounds super cool, right?

So,  yesterday,  I asked on my radio show , Lounge with King Ifey and Fortune on Love 97.7fm, what an owner of a restaurant is called.

Precious Jeez😃, someone said 'self-employed'.

Others who tried could not get the pronunciation.

The person is called a restaurateur  and pronounced as
restraTUR  NOT. restoranto. 😂

/ˌrɛstrəˈtəː/

So, guys keep a date with me let me help you upgrade your vocabulary.

After a year here,  you will speak English fearlessly 😊😘.

By the way,  I am still in  the subtraction business 😃. I have to accept some phonics teachers that want to be part of my class.  At least the know the essence of what I do here and they can utilise it well,  unlike some monitoring spirits.😃

I am so sorry.

This apology goes to other people who are in  different fields of study that I didn't mention when I was promoting my class.

I noticed many active learners have been doctors and those studying science-related courses .

Public speaking is very essential to most them and  a few have indicated interest in the class. That is splendid.

The class will kick off next week Friday. When  you pay. you get admitted into the group.

Thank you for being a part of the class.  The class with King Ifey is done and dusted😇

*Walks out of the class and peeps through the window *

Aha! An expression for you.

If you want to say that someone has been defeated. You say the person has been taken to the cleaner's.

If someone has been cheated out of all their money and possession,  it means they have been taken  to the cleaner's also.

Likes most ladies would seductively take some men to the cleaner's. 😂

Alright guys

Toodles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha