Skip to main content

OUR DEAR NIGERIAN TREKAHOLICS, WHEN WILL IT END!

              OUR DEAR NIGERIAN TREKAHOLICS , WHEN WILL IT END?


Hasheem Suleiman has set the pace for Nigerians to take on this new madness of trekking insanely long distances to greet or commend politicians. Many Nigerians have actually taken up this act of trekking, thereby making it to trend far more than other important issues bothering us.

Hajiya Talatu decided to trek from Kaduna to Abuja in honour of the president elect and it was deemed necessary to be classified as a breaking news.

 
The Jigawian man, Muhammad Auwal, just concluded his own trek from Hadejia to Dutse just to congratulate the governor. Only God knows how charred that umbrella could have got from the scorching heat of the Saharan sun.  Anyway, he grabbed the respite much awaited for when he finally met the governor. I am probably sure if he were unemployed, he should be rest assured of a profitable employment.

 
Going on at the moment, please I would like to say, more elbow grease to the Kogite, Oladele John Nihi, currently about to traverse various rocky terrains in a bid to commend Goodluck Jonathan for diplomatically conceding defeat or as a friend of mine puts it, losing successfully..lol.. Please what else is new? We sincerely hope he doesn’t get as light as a balloon and be blown away into thin air before he gets to Otueke. By the way, nice outfit he has got on but the boots seem to be entirely out of place..lol

 What else have we not heard? I do not want to sound tribal, but it seems majority of the names mentioned all seem to be indigenous of the northern protectorate and this has bogged my mind for days now.

At the moment, I am yet to hear that  one Chijioke Egbeigwe is on his way  from Enugu to Abuja to congratulate the president-elect for the war won after various battles had been lost. Aha! What of Akpogene Udeme trekking all the way from Warri, wading through the mucky swamp of its forest, to Abuja too? Why hasn’t Okon Asuquo packed his backpack and  worn his  boots to set out on another one month journey from Calabar  to Abuja? Don’t they all need some sort of immunity conferred upon them by the presidential power?

 I browsed through my facebook account  yesterday and saw a writeup  that reduced me to a laughing Tom cat. It came from a friend; and it says “all these trekkers. . trekking for buhari..#yimu.. I will trek from awka to lagos den lagos to Abuja, Abuja to  Otueke den back to awka.” I am honestly sure he isn’t ready yet for such trekking; and realizing that, throbbed my belly with laughter

 I thought to myself, what if I didn’t find myself this new job, I could have probably trekked from Lagos to Abuja to say a simple ‘hi’ to Buhari. Then I remembered how much it could worth: the expenses I would make to have a car driving right behind me to always assure my safety. Then I imagined walking through kogi roads at night, with all those massive undeveloped acres of land that still breed the usual wildlife—marauding wild ones.


They could probably just jump out and have me as an appetizer for yet another big meat they would consider dinner…lol The worst of it all would be trekking from Lokoja, through Kotonkarfe hills, with the temperature as high as 40degrees– when roosters turn chicken by the sudden touch of the sweltering day. After considering these entire factors, I decided the presidential subvention, no matter how huge, should just pend in the air till I grab some six packs from Mayweather, the hind legs of a cheetah and the endurance of a horse. If I am waiting for this miracle to happen, then I would wait FOREVER!

Image result for a man with horse legs

Isn’t it okay already? Haven’t we trekked enough distances yet? I have, after serious deliberation, checked to see whether this trekking symbolizes anything meaningful, but I couldn’t lay my hand on anything substantial. I guess it is crystal clear why that is. These people could perhaps be trekking for their own gains. If perhaps that’s the case, I actually don’t blame them. If that can put food on their table, please let them imprint their footprints in all the soils of Nigeria and  be sure to make ends meet. You know what they say, those living in glass house should not throw stones. Anyway, I am not sure how glassy my house is right now and, obviously, I don’t intend to hurl stones to  anybody who has checked his immunity and has seen that he has got endurance more than

Well, I am only afraid that the massive proportion of the unemployed youths may decide to embark on this crazy journey. I hope when they do, it wouldn’t be tagged ‘futile trekking to Abuja’. Nevertheless, I sincerely hope that this trekking insanity will pass us by and never return again. We do have a lot of shortcomings to address in this country rather than congratulating these Nigerian Kenyan-wannabes for having such endurance to trek.

Finally…Here is to us… may we not cast our minds to frivolities that would add little essence of responsibility to our lives, rather let us ginger the government to dispense this leadership with tact and judiciousness.

Cheers!

Comments

  1. It's just a crazy trend but very good exercise for the course they r trekking I don't know if it's worth it for me ooo,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha