Skip to main content

INCREASED FUEL PRICE PLUNGES LAGOS INTO CRISES STATE: EVERYDAY PEOPLE'S ISSUES


 
 
 
 
 
 
Increased Fuel Price Plunges Lagos into Crises State
 
 
A few days ago, we came to the point of utmost crises in Nigeria. The country drove on a fast lane to the point of jumping off the cliff in reckless abandon, and we sat there, hoping for a miracle to swerve our wagon back to a safe lane. A few days ago we experienced the worst situation that almost threatened to last for a life time, although some states might still be experiencing the peak of the devastating event. I don’t know whether you stumbled onto  what I encountered the past few days when everything in Nigeria came to halt. I witnessed people whose lives were almost about to be snuffed out of them just because of these crises we faced.. Well, atleast right now it seems to be getting better anyway.

A few days ago, I set out to go see a friend at Omole in Ikeja, I paid N200 from Ikeja under bridge for something that would cost N100 on a normal crisis free day.

 The bus drove off with this very sad and gloomy song dragged out from the piles of CDs from the 80s— it was fela kuti’s. It constantly startled me off the present state of happiness I was trying so hard to create for myself, and plunged me into that dungeon of uncertainty which was the reality I ought to face. Well , the street didn’t even help at all, as some strategic points on the road seemed   to have a huge cloud of pessimism threatening to rain.  The pervading song of discord kept  blaring through speakers that stood in vehement protest of the disaster that was almost enveloping the nation…. “Nigeria jaga jaga”…. I wondered, how much jaga jaga must we pass through before the government knows that the sheet we wrote that jaga jaga has been filled, and a new sheet needed with a new teacher that can direct us off the jaganess of life.

As I thought deeply about this, my bank sent me an alert stating that they wouldn’t be available from 1 o’clock, seeing as the crises had affected them badly and they couldn’t bear splurging all their earnings on diesel. Well, it didn’t bother me anyway because I can easily withdraw from ATM if I want to. Filling stations were now shut down and the few that opened up, sold the diesel at the cost of an arm and a leg; the driver still found his arms and legs so precious to splurge on something we were supposed to have in abundance, owing to the fact that we are one of the most productive oil producing nations in the whole world.

 
On my way back from Omole, the bus fare cost N150 and I had to breathe in fresh air I conjured up myself. Phew! So much respite, I must say. As we drove towards ikeja, some filling stations had queues and traffics waiting to purchase fuel, which was said to cost 500 per litre and yet, it was as scarce as hen’s teeth. Really a dark time for the nation, right?

The bus stopped again and as some passengers alighted, another song wafted into the bus from a music store near the bus stop; it was African China, the long forgotten musician, who had left for us an unforgettable hit song. As it comforted us back then in the early 2000s, so it sure came with its hand wide open to embrace and kiss our pains away.” Food no dey, my brother water no dey”… more like, fuel no dey and my brother light no come dey too. A lady decided to buy sachet water, and she was told N20 for a sachet, she swallowed her saliva and slid her 50 naira back into her purse with some very demeaning scowl that cursed the perpetrators of the crises. I was very surprised. Even common sachet water?  As the bus drove into the Agidingbi road, some group of people wore frowned faces and tight grimaces singing out ferociously against NEPA people. well they called it NEPA. They held up placards with leafy branches around waists and in hands of some protesters.
they were of the opinion that NEPA shouldn't bill them for light units they haven't used at all. well if you ask my opinion, I would say that that, my friend, is so unfair.

I got home and as usual, I went to Iya shalewa to buy a chilled bottle of coke to assuage the raging heat my body absorbed in such unbearable Monday  hustling, and  to my dismay, the coke felt warmer than my body temperature. It promised to set me on fire and roast me to crisped meat if I didn’t resist the temptation to gulp it. Well, I left the coke, came upstairs and my friends informed me the light had not been restored yet. At that moment, it was over two days and we had been charging all our gadgets near our apartment. As I was still unbuttoning my shirt, my neighbours came back with empty buckets reporting that the benevolent man who had given the street free borehole water, was undergoing the same recession the country was plunged into; he couldn’t spare such huge amount at that time for us to enjoy one of the basic amenities which the government had left at the base of the list of things to be attended to. The next option was to buy satchet water and have a bath, but then, who does that? Lagos lacks wells, unlike places like Enugu and Anambra where wells were the very source of water for most domestic activities.

I forgot about having a bath and decided to chat with my friends on Facebook.  I sat down and began reading very funny post and some goodbye messages on Facebook. Finally, my phone beeped and then Airtel alerted me of shortcomings they were sure they would be guilty of from that time on and was imploring me in advance to bear with them. Little did I know that the beep was inevitably going to cut me off from the internet.

It was a heck of day for most Lagosians  and there is no telling the amount of money people lost in this period of economic backwater. At least, now we are gradually steping out of the mucky pit. Let us hope Buhari will come to our rescue with his magic wand and do his abracadabra and have we all plunged into economic boom. Well, this evening the light just got restored and I am happy to see people being happy.
 

 
Finally, we wait for May 29th…. it will define the destiny of our country Nigeria.

So, here is to us  every Nigerian, may our lives be far less complicated than it is now.

Cheers!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha