Skip to main content

LAGOS I MISS YOU BY U.I.A EAZY

Lagos I Miss You

 


Far away in my true home
I still miss my Lagos home
Too early have I sequestered from this true home...

That even when I visit for the golden fleece
I no longer feel a part of this home;
For my heart is sold to Lagos.


What do I not miss about Lagos?
Is it the early morning husband and wife palavers?
The Monday morn' tussle to get a molue at the bus-stop?
The go-slow that magically turns a two minutes journey into two hours?
The blessed roads with potholes as deep as the Niger?
The 'sharp guys' duping and pickpocketing at Oshodi?
The collosal noises of different trade groups and vehicles?
Or is it the anthill activities of the great Oshodi market?
I miss them all.


What do I not love about my Lagos?
Is it the glittering terrain of Ikeja
Or the fading colour of Iyana Ipaja?
Is it the "Three Wise Men" at Ojota
Or the great Awolowo forever standing at Ikeja?
Is it the clean gutters of Shonibare
Or the mosquito-infested ones of Agege?
Is it the Apapa Wharf
Or the Ikeja Industrial Area?
Is it the jollying hours of the night
Or the weekends at night clubs?


Ajegunle! Mile 2! Ile Epo! and of course Super!
Can you hear me?
I love you all
Even friends and enemies
I terribly miss

For now I know I love them all.

Lagos!
Hearken to the voice of my heart
Reserve my place among your innumerable multitudes
For this lover of yours shall return to you soon;
With my "pali" of course;
And join in the terrible search for jobs
Keep your hands open for an embrace
For soon will you receive me back to your bossom
Lagos I miss you.


Copyright Ubaji Isiaka Abubakar Eazy 2012

Comments

  1. THIS REALLY EXPLAINS LAGOS FOR EVERY NIGERIAN.
    SIMPLE DICTION AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! buh why would i miss lagos

    ReplyDelete
  3. search deeper and you will find.
    I guess the poet spent huge part of his life in lagos. that's why he calls it home too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha