Skip to main content

10 Tips For Up-and-coming Artistes in Nigeria






If you are an up-and-coming artiste, I think you should read this. It will immensely help you.
I haven't been an OAP for a long time now, but I have come across many musicians, and in all honesty, they still make basic mistakes.
These mistakes are things  we all can avoid. Calm down and read this post, then share it. Let us help these up-and-coming artistes to break into the market really fast.



1. As an up-and-coming artiste, don't promote yourself with somebody's cover unless you have outdone the original song.

2. You better not record a remix of trending songs. I mean 'Mad Over You' by Runtown has had more than a fair share of distasteful remixes and covers. You all can attest to this. 

3. Be original. Spend time to create a niche. Find your voice. Find your signature. In this sea of Nigerian music, you don't need to swim with the shoals  and swim with the tide. Swim against the tide. Herd mentality is all together unproductive .

4. Spend enough money in that one 'single' you believe in. Meet producers who can give you a top-notch production that will be perfectly mixed and mastered. Sometimes, your songs don't get  frequent airplay because the production is so deplorable. I mean, if you need 100k to get a standard production, please hustle and get it.  If you  had your song produced at the rate of 20k per song, and it came out sounding so ordinary, it just might not break into the market.

5. Stay clear from vulgarities. Vulgarities can be used by already known celebrities. Trust me, you don't want to use it at all in your song. It will stall your progress. It will not get airplay at all let alone massive airplay. Stay away from 'shit', 'fuck', 'nigga', and all derogatory terms, racial slurs and sexual innuendos. If these are found in your songs, it will be hard for any DJ to play it on their radio shows.

6. Write good lyrics. Nigerians are becoming wiser by the day. Terry G made his money when we were busy listening to trashy songs. You might want to point out popular artistes who sing trash that people patronize. Really? Just Wake up please. Nigerians are patronizing their brands not their trashy song. Give your first single a good shot. Try hard...people on Facebook would say 'Choose a Struggle'...LOL

7. If you want to sing in English. Please, I beg of you, take my English lessons seriously. Gospel artistes can make the bells in my head ring louder than the St. Peter's Bell in Vatican City. Which one is ' I lorrv you Jesurrs' ,  Speaking English does not mean you have to speak from your nose and make every word sound so 'Rhotic'. Subscribe to my online class today. I will gladly teach you the way forward.

8. Accept Constructive Criticism. Go back and work on it. There are 100s of musicians who want one DJ to play their songs. The DJ can only remember the songs that left a huge impression on him. He will totally forget the ones that left a bad taste in his mouth....let it not be your song.

9. As an 'Up-and-Coming'  Artiste, please 'upcoming artiste' is an utterly wrong expression. Artiste should be on twitter and Instagram. When DJS play your songs and tweet it, you have to like and retweet. Well, it gladdens our heart when you do. The essence of being on social media is to build a solid network of fans. They will go along way to help you in achieving your dreams.

10. A DJ or OAP might be very benevolent in playing your songs on their shows because it is really up to standard;  but you, on the other, have to show appreciation.

Motivation is good. Keep  Your DJs and OAPs happy and they will not remember when they have overplayed your song.
I  am King Ifey and  I love to see you prosper.

Comments

  1. Bro....I love you so much. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. King Ifey, I have to say. You are a big inspiration to me. I love you. Especially your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 5 hmmm is a strong one lot of '' up and coming'' ( I just learnt that) artiste makes that mistake.. Hope they listen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear, I am glad you are here.
    Let them know

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear, I am glad you are here.
    Let them know

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha