Skip to main content

Run for your dear life and live and lets live are wrong expressions. Find out why

Good morning KIB students.
I have to constantly remind you all on Facebook that I have a blog where 50% of the classes I have conducted here on Facebook are documented. You will benefit a lot from it.

Without further ado, let us get down to brass tacks.

There are two expressions that we usually don't say properly.
Live and lets live❌
Live and let live✔

I ran for my dear life❌

I ran for my life✔
or

I ran for dear life✔

Regina swam for her dear life when the shark closed in on her.❌

Regina swam for dear life when the sharks closed in on her.✔

Regina swam for her life when the sharks closed in on her✔

These are very little mistakes we usually make when writing on Facebook or speaking to people.

Honestly speaking, no one is above mistakes but we all strive to be perfect.

I have two mistakes I have been battling to correct for 4 months now.

I know the right thing to say, but I tend to use the wrong one first then I woulf immediately realise what I did and feel embarrassed😃.

These two errors are.

The both of them❌

Both of them✔.

'The' and 'both' don't go together. Somebody should hammer it into my skull. I don't want to keep defaulting.

The next one is

Be rest assured❌
Rest assured✔.

Let me give you examples here.

You can be rest assured, we'd do the job well❌

You can rest assured we'd do the job well.✔

I need to be rest assured of your allegiance❌

I need to rest assured of your allegiance.✔

Actually, English is complicated😃.

Finally,

A new idiomatic expression😃.

I picked up from an Anime cartoon my cousin introduced to me.

'Archer'.

In one of the episodes Archer's mother was trying to negotiate for a ransom she'd have to pay for her son to be released.

She said

'Oh please, sharpen your pencil'

Well, the guy is Russian😃. He replied " Ma'am, I have no pencil to sharpen"

Archer's mum angrily interjected

" It's idiom, idiot!"

The truth, if you travel to the.  UK or the US, you'd always feel lost when these idioms are used.

Sharpen your pencils is used to tell a seller that you know the price and he should lop something off to lower the price so you can buy.

When you use it, you are simply saying

“find a way to lower your price or I won't buy—arrive at a more acceptable (that is to say, lower) price.

Alright guys, the class is done and dusted.

*Walks out of the class, peeps through  the window*

Close in is a phrasal verb which means tp move closer to someone or something, especially in order to attack. (+ on/around/upon/for etc)

The armed robbers closed in on her as she made to run for dear life.

See you some other time. I love to see you prosper.
KIA is still open, join in noe and enjoy a systematic teaching of the English language.

Toodles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use 'many a' and 'a great deal of' in a sentence. How to pronounce 'impasse'

Good morning KIB  earthlings. Lets get down to brass tacks. Let's look at the use of verbs. Yesterday someone brought a statement to me and enquired if it were correct. 'many a fellow knows the truth' Many a driver ploughs this road daily' 'Many a teacher doesn't know how to  English'. All these sentences are correct. According to Oxford dictionary, Many a: ( formal: always used with a singular noun and a singular verb) means a large number of something. E.g many a young person has experimented with drugs.   So,  don't pluralise anything in the sentence because there is an 'A' already. 'Many a teachers like to flog their students ' is wrong. 'A great deal' How do you use 'a great deal'? A great deal takes a singular verb. E.g A great deal of bananas is planted in the north. 'A great deal' takes a singular verb.  Finally,  the pronunciation of impasse is /'ampa:s/ Not (impas) It's not Enem

Is it 'off head', 'off hand' 'off pat' or 'by heart'?

I love all the new students in my class. You guys are awesome by the way. 😀😀 Today. I want to give you a better expression for saying that 'you know something very well'. #Offhead? There is nothing like offhead. 'I know it off head' is wrong. #Offhand? What does offhand mean? It mean without previous thought or consideration. Just like saying 'on the spur of moment' , 'immediately', 'spontaneously'. So, do you just know something offhand? No...not at all. You can say something offhand, do anything offhand but then it seems weird to say ' I know the answer offhand'. It is normal 'to say the answer offhand'. Do you get my drift? People don't know anything spontaneously, rather, they  say what they already know, spontaneously. Now to the final expression #HaveSomethingOffPat? It means to know something or be able to do something perfectly; be perfect master of something . So rather than say, I know it offha